Why work with Eleven?
Eleven is distinct from other UC Berkeley undergraduate publications in its intimate size and constant one-on-one engagement between both senior editors and new members. Working with Eleven will hone your writing, improve your understanding of research methodology and academic conventions, while strengthening both your critical eye and collaborative voice in a peer learning environment.
The Editorial Team
We review and edit undergraduate work with a critical lens on objectivity, methodology, results, and writing conventions in a peer review process. We each bring our own writing and editing experiences to the team in order to complement and collaborate on publishing exemplary undergraduate work. We especially seek editors who are interested in a multiple-semester position on the team.
- Review 2-3 submissions per week, which can vary in length
- Examine the content of submissions for novelty, depth, and execution
- Participate in weekly editorial board meetings, prepared to discuss/debate the week’s submissions
- Collaborate with a small editing team on a single piece for the upcoming volume
- Learn how the professional editing process works, in successive rounds, and what to look for on each round
- Copy-edit the final papers and check all citations before publishing
The Public Relations Team
We connect Eleven to sociology departments at universities across the country, design the journal’s visuals, and spearhead our campus presence. Additionally, in Fall 2019, we launched a biweekly newsletter where we highlight the research of our world-renowned faculty and share opportunities for students to grow more involved in the social sciences.
- Attend weekly meetings throughout the semester
- Maintain the Eleven website
- Compile research opportunities, faculty spotlights, book recommendations, and more for the biweekly newsletter
- Work with departments, organizations, and international universities to advertise the publication and recruit new submissions
- Paginate the annual journal
- Organize and publicize the new volume release events
Join Eleven: The Undergraduate Journal of Sociology! Our Public Relations and Editorial teams are currently recruiting new members for Fall 2023. If you’re passionate about marketing, writing, or want to learn more about being part of a sociological research journal, apply now!
PR info sessions will be held on September 6 (Wednesday) and September 7 (Thursday) at 8 PM over Zoom (https://tinyurl.com/11infosessions ).
Editorial info sessions will be held on September 12 (Tuesday) over Zoom ( tinyurl.com/F23Eleven).
We’ll discuss more about Eleven, what we do, and answer any questions.